Friday, August 10, 2012

Adios Amigos

     Tonight is the night before I leave and there's no way I'm going to be able to get much sleep. However, I have shed enough tears to fill a fish tank so maybe all that crying will put me right out. Like everyone else I'm going to begin by saying how quickly time has gone. Thinking back on filling out my application and going to my first interview is crazy. After my dad died in November, I wasn't sure that I was going to continue my dream of doing rotary and even go to my interview later that month. However, with a lot  of support from my mom and friends I was encouraged to follow through with my dreams. I chose all European countries on the deciding day; Switzerland being my top, and that's why when I read "Chile" on my acceptance letter I insantly thought of my dad. My dad had wanted me to go to somewhere in South America and he was interested in Argentina and Brazil and here I was reading my letter going to the continent that he wanted me to. It's crazy how things like that turn out. But here I am 7 months later and I'm almost on my way. After a few days of attempting to pack, and throwing out some of my favorite shoes and clothes out of the suitcases I'm packed. Of course I just completely finished like ten minutes ago :). I have two suitcases and a duffle bag. Yeah I'm probably over packing and I already know that, but packing for a year is not an easy thing when you've been a shopaholic for the last few years. How my 120lb self is going to carry around my weight in luggage, I haven't really decided. My first attempt will be to look lost and helpless and hope someone will come to my rescue. But, in reality I'll  be regretting it after my first flight.
     Tomorrow I will take off from Minneapolis with my family, boyfriend, and bestfriend and that will bring to me Atlanta, which then leads me after 2 and a half hours to Santiago a 9 and half hour flight (......). I'm thankful that I will be getting to fly over night so that I can sleep. My jet lag shouldn't be bad since it's only one hour ahead. Which most people cant' seem to grasp, but after looking at a map it makes sense. Anyways, I am excited to meet other exchange students once I get to Santiago and am sure that they will be comforting. My host family just informed me they are building a pool, just another thing that makes my Chilean life all the better. I am very excited to meet them, and I'm sad that I will have to say goodbye to my sister Maria as she comes to Wisconsin after a few weeks. I'm getting really excited and really sad, however I think I'm shocked and it definitely hasn't hit me. I'm not sure how I was supposed to prepare myself today, but I saw a few friends and got stressed out packing with family. My mind is literally numb and I'm not sure what to feel. However, this will be my last blog from the US (i've used that phrase "last ____ in US" a million times today) so I hope the next will be more exciting.
     Goodbye to all my friends, family, and anyone who is out there reading.



No comments:

Post a Comment