Friday, July 20, 2012

3 Weeks To Go


So today's my three week mark til I take my flight to Chile for one year. I can't really explain how I feel, the feelings are very overwhelming. I'm super excited to start my journey and I'm also ready to just get the plane ride over. After a short flight to Atlanta I have a lovely 9.5 hour trip to Santiago, where I'll spend two days for a brief orientation. Saying goodbyes have begun, as some of my friends embark on their own journeys and this hasn't been easy. I've been able to hold it together until after I leave them and I'm alone again. Saying goodbye is never easy and nothing that I'm looking forward too. Although at times I find myself disliking many things in the US and the mid west in particular I know that I will be missing it very much in a few months. This year will be so amazing and I know that I won't regret it and I'm ready for this, but I'm in a nervous state and finding myself to be pointing out the things that I will be missing out on here in Minnesota. My little sisters will continue to fly through elementary and one will even graduate the 5th grade. (which to me was a big deal). With two small nephews I feel as though I'm missing out on their prime years one is almost 6months and the other is 2 and a half! I have many friends who will be moving on and making big changes and who will be able to connect during the holidays and have similar experiences and I have a boyfriend who I have to leave too. Of course the boyfriend thing isn't going to be easy and we are VERY close so I'm not looking forward to that either. Then there's my poor mother. I love her so much and I'm her first baby to leave and that's what I'm doing, and in a very big way. Having her as my only parent makes it extremely hard to deal with leaving her behind. I know she will be kept busy by crazy family, but I just don't want to miss out on each others lives. 
       So what do I know? I'll be in Iquique, Chile which is in the Northern region and is a port city and it's very warm. I will have one host family with four kids. One older brother whose like 28 named Pablo, a sister Maria (17) however, she is going to Medford, Wisconsin and I will only stay with her for a few days. And of course my twin little brothers Alejandro and Fernando who are 10 or something like that. So far I have bought some supplies things like the US flag, a journal, razors, etc. I will also be attending Liceo Maria Auxiliadora which is an all girls Catholic school and YES I have a uniform. Proceed to google for more info. With a lot of excitement building I will continue to go shopping and spending for things that I will need and I'm curious to see how many bags and suitcases I will be heading off with. It is winter in Chile now, which means I will have all the nice weather and even a summer vacation where I don't have a full school year. PS. I still have to go to Chicago to go get my visa, but they still haven't given me an appointment and I'm getting a little bit nervous with it getting really close. Hopefully that comes sooner than later so me and my mother can take a lovely driving trip to the Windy City. Anyways, I think this sums up currently how I'm feeling and thinking.  

No comments:

Post a Comment